Eat well and boost your mood
When the cold weather arrives, many of us can feel a little low. But did you know that what you eat can affect how you feel? Not only that, but there are certain foods that are proven to actually boost mood.
A balanced diet packed with fibre, vitamins and antioxidants can help beneficial gut bacteria thrive and boost production of feel-good hormones. And the best part is, it’s easy to incorporate mood-boosting foods into your diet.
- Berries – strawberries, raspberries, blackberries are the perfect topping on porridge or a slice of cheesecake.
- Lentils – lovely legumes such as beans, pulses and lentils are often overlooked but are nutrient-packed! They are also an easy, low-cost way to bulk up a meal and a great meat alternative.
- Oats – are packed with all sorts of goodness. Why not start your day with a bowl of porridge and top with berries for an extra boost?
- Nuts – they may be small but they’re big on benefits. Mixed nuts are an easy snack or a great addition to a vegetarian dish.
- Leafy greens – kale, spinach, cabbage and broccoli are all great and can be added to a curry, pasta dish or pie.
- Eggs – they really are sunny-side up. Scrambled, fried, poached or boiled – eggs make for a quick lunch or tasty weekend brunch.
- Turkey – a festive classic. Don’t worry, you’ll still get the benefits even if it’s a bit dry!
- Potatoes – roasted, mashed or baked… whichever you prefer, load your plate up high.
- Oranges – and other citrus fruits are at their best during the winter months. Enjoy as a snack or try adding to salads or bakes.
- Dark chocolate – we've saved the best till last! Swap milk chocolate for dark chocolate - perfect with a cup of tea.
Mood boosting recipes
Banish winter blues with our Happy Plate recipes from Rosemary Shrager
Good Health winter recipes
Food to feel good about winter from Waitrose