Rosemary Shrager’s Happy Plate recipe:
Beef tagine with mashed potato and wilted spinach
- 800g chuck beef, diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1cm fresh ginger, sliced or 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- 55g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 120g raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 55g flaked almonds
- 300g to 400g chicken stock
- 1 400g tin butter beans, drained
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 170c.
- Brown the beef on all sides.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic and spices in a hob-friendly casserole and cook until onion is softened.
- Combine the spices including ginger, garlic and cinnamon and all other ingredients except the stock, flaked almonds and coriander, and mix so all covered.
- Add the chicken stock just enough to cover the meat.
- Put into the oven for 1.5 hours, after one hour turn down to 150c.
- Now add the drained butterbeans and flaked almonds, mix, and put back into the oven for another 50 minutes. Cook until the beef is tender.
- Now fold in the fresh coriander and check for seasoning.
Mashed potato with black olives
- 500g potatoes
- 125 ml hot milk
- 50g butter
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan (optional)
- 8 black olives, stoned and cut into small strips (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft, then drain them and return them to the pan.
- Dry them over gentle heat then put them through a potato ricer, or mash them with a masher.
- Add the butter and then the hot milk and beat with a fork. Add the olives, pepper and parmesan then taste before adding any salt (it may not need any as both the cheese and olives are salty) and heat until the cheese has melted.
Wilted spinach with garlic and black pepper ingredients
- 400g spinach
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Good pinch of salt
- 30g butter
- Add 400g spinach to 400g boiling water. Leave for 30 seconds until wilted and drain well.
- Place spinach back into the saucepan add the garlic, black pepper and salt and butter. Mix well and cook for approx. 30 seconds.
Brought to you from Rosemary Shrager
Rosemary Shrager has stepped in to help banish winter blues by launching a collection of Happy Plate recipes which will be served at our lunch clubs.
Happy Plates are part of our Stay Safe, Warm and Well campaign which offers wellbeing advice and support this winter.
Rosemary’s Happy Plates are delicious recipes filled with accessible ingredients that have been identified by nutritionists at Yakult as top foods to help boost mood.