Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II became Patron of WVS on 22 July 1952 and in 1966, in recognition of the organisation’s work for the people of
Great Britain, Her Majesty granted WVS the honour of adding Royal to its
title, from then on being known as WRVS until 2013 when the organisation changed it's name once again to Royal Voluntary Service.
Her grandmother Queen Mary was the first Patron, granting her Patronage to WVS only three days after the organisation had been formed by Lady Reading on 20 May 1938 and her mother Queen Elizabeth was President of WVS from December that same year.
As Princess Elizabeth, Her Majesty the Queen visited WVS Headquarters in London on several occasions during and after the war and we have always been willing to assist our Patron in whatever way we can. We packed and dispatched food parcels from presents sent as Wedding gifts to Her Majesty and HRH Prince Phillip in 1947, helped sort and reply to the Silver Jubilee mail.
Images: Our Patron - Her Majesty The Queen meeting WRVS volunteers at the opening of Queen Elizabeth Close, Norwich, in April 1975. The Close was a housing development for older people built by the WRVS Housing Association.