The Heritage Bulletin Blog ran from July 2012 to January 2020, covering a huge range of subjects, from a day in the archives, to extracts from the WVS bulletins, and histories of various WVS/WRVS services.
It’s 219 articles have become a valuable resource in themselves, why not search them or just browse to discover something new.
It’s been a while since we told you about some of the treasures we have in the Archive and I thought I’d tell you about some very interesting donations that have arrived here over the last few months.
Day Books from Margate and Tunbridge Wells, Kent, 1938-1945
The Archive recently received five Day Books about the WVS Centres in Margate and Tunbridge Wells from 1939-1945. These Day Books were used by volunteers to record the activities happening in the local centres across Great Britain. One book describes the daily activities in the Margate office in 1944 and 1945 including.
- Whist drives to raise funds for POWs
- Volunteer Car Pool
- Clothing Refugees
- Salvage (collecting bones)
- Welfare Furniture
- Repairing overalls for engineers
- And the final entry on 30 June 1945 which records members attending a Civil Defence Standing down party.
WVS watercolour poster, 1941 from Royal Voluntary Service Chesham House Centre Café at Lancing, Sussex
This is a large original pencil ink and watercolour poster (30 x 41.5 in) of 13 scenes of WVS activities in three columns, with a WVS Badge at the top centre. The Scenes depict: the Blitz, Salvage, the Homeless, John Citizen - 1941, the Footsore and Weary, a WVS Station canteen, a WVS Aluminium Dump, a WVS Mobile Canteen, Peace, Fresh fields, a rest centre and Communal Feeding, a WVS Work Depot, and children being fitted for shoes. The scenes down the left side of the poster are 'problems' with WVS’ solutions on the right.
Yorkshire, Calderdale (Halifax) papers, 1950-2013
This collection was given to us at the end of March and contains an array of exciting material from West Yorkshire, Including among others:
- Ten coloured photographs of exhibition to mark 40th anniversary of WRVS, held in Halifax Town Hall.
- The Orders of Service for WVS’s 21st birthday Service of Thanksgiving at York Minster 1959, and for WRVS’s Golden Jubilee at York Minster 1988.
- A black and white photograph taken in May 1988 during a visit from Dame Thora Herd to Calderdale.
- A Song Book for Darby & Joan Clubs and Christmas Carols, including songs such as The Kings Orient, Holly and the Ivy, Loch Lomond, A Nice Cup of tea and The White Cliffs of Dover.
- Ten Scrapbooks compiled from 1954-1992 in Calderdale and Halifax with a Green photograph album including photos of Calderdale volunteers 1979.
Posted by Jennifer Hunt, Deputy Archivist at 09:00
Monday, 02 May 2016.