Royal Voluntary Service wants to help create a society where everyone feels valued and involved whatever their age.
We are one of the largest volunteer organisations in the country. Our 40,000 volunteers help older people stay active, independent and able to continue to contribute to society. They do this by providing practical and emotional help where and when it’s needed.
Royal Voluntary Service helps in all sorts of ways:
- We help older people get out of the house for a bite to eat, social occasions or just to see friends
- We enjoy popping round for a chat as often as is liked
- We will help with jobs such as doing the shopping and collecting library books
- We can also do the simple but important things, such as changing a light bulb or fixing a lock
- We are here to make sure older people are ok when they have appointments or a stay in hospital, and we’ll check they are ok when they get home
- We also work on a national level to raise awareness of the issues older people face. We do this through our media campaigns and research, and by lobbying the government for age-related policy improvements.
Be part of an important and growing movement
We’ve got big plans for the future. Our aim is to reach two million older people in the next ten years. It’s incredibly important we achieve this as the UK’s older population is growing and needs more support.
Sharing time with older people is enjoyable, rewarding and inspiring for all of us, young and old. By volunteering now you can help today’s generation of older people live and enjoy the kind of old age they deserve.
Find out more about volunteering with Royal Voluntary Service
Originally known as the Women’s Voluntary Services for Air Raid Precautions, Royal Voluntary Service was founded in 1938 to support local communities in times of need.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has been our Patron since 1952.
Royal Voluntary Service is managed be an executive team, headed by our Chief Executive. It is governed by our Board of Trustees, headed by our Chairman. Overall we have nearly 2,500 staff and about 40,000 local volunteers.
Our ambassadors support the charity in promoting our work to reduce isolation and help older people stay happy, healthy and independent.
Make a significant difference to lives of older people in this country by working for us. We are always looking for talented and passionate people. Find out about our latest vacancies.
Royal Voluntary Service is committed to responsible sourcing and developing a robust and sustainable supply chain. Find out about our latest tender opportunities.
Royal Voluntary Service is a registered charity in accordance with the Charities Act 1993. Our registered charity number in England and Wales is 1015988 and in Scotland is SC038924.
Our registered office is:
Royal Voluntary Service Cardiff Gate
Cardiff Gate Business Park
Royal Voluntary Service is also constituted as a company limited by guarantee and is registered under the Companies Act 1985. Our limited company number is registered in England and Wales, number 2520413.
WRVS becomes Royal Voluntary Service
If you’re looking for WRVS, you’re in the right place, but our name has changed.
Find out more
Make a donation
Make a secure donation online to Royal Voluntary Service using your credit or debit card.
Donate by text
To donate £3 text
OLDER to 70777
Donate by phone
Call our donation line
on 0845 607 6524.